Sunday, August 19, 2007

The sale of yards

This was actually written last Sunday when I started this blasted blog! I decided to change the template- a task that proved almost impossible (I know I'm not a computer whiz, but I'm not a complete idiot either, I just couldn't get it to do what I wanted) - so I just deleted the whole damn thing and started again. So this entry was actually from:

Sunday, August 12

We finally had our much-needed yard sale yesterday! I had been creating piles of "I-don't-need-this-anymore/haven't-thought-about-this-for-years-I'm-going-to-sell-it" stuff in the spare bedroom since we moved in over three months ago! It's good to be rid of some excess baggage! OK... so technically we're not rid of it yet... it's still in the garage. BUT, it's boxed up and ready to be picked up by whichever charitable organization is willing to come and get it.

The yard sale was a success, despite our ad not appearing in the Leesburg Today paper like it was supposed to. Pern filled out the online application for the ad and then called on Friday when it didn't appear. When asked how he had submitted his request the kind lady at the newspaper office flippantly responded, "Honey, that was your first problem!" Excuse me? Turns out their website wasn't working properly and they didn't know about it until Thursday. So no ad for us. But we still had bunches and bunches of crazy yard sale shoppers. A few strategically placed signs did the trick.

So what did we do with our earning? Why, we bought more stuff, of course!! What a silly question. But, in our defense, it was stuff we really needed and stuff we are very happy with. Our new couch was delivered on Friday (we LOVE our new couch) and we needed a grown-up coffee table to go with it. Considering that Pern's about to turn 36 and I've got 30 on the radar, I think it's time to acknowledge that we're grown-up. So now we have a lovely coffe table, end table, and console table to prove it. And a couch. Did I mention that we love our couch? Well we do. We love it. It's yummy. A couple of arm chairs courtesy of the Leech Family Furniture Donation Association (read: "thanks, Mom and Dad!") that we'll be picking up this afternoon will complete the room. Just in time for a little birthday party. Whew!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You have one person checking on you. I do like the sofa. Chairs and tables are nice too. But the best is the Poppy painting. Who's the artist? Anyone we know. Hope you are enjoying everything.

Unknown said...

Karen, thanks for including me, the pictures are great. Happy you & Pern are enjoying the camera! The blog is interesting! L