Sunday, March 30, 2008

Let's Go Fly a Kite!

Yesterday we joined some friends (and a couple thousand strangers) on the Mall for the Smithsonian Kite Festival.  This is one of my favorite D.C. events!

Our friends, S and D met us there with their little one, baby D, who was lookin' o-so-cute in his wacky winter hat!

S and D have tickets to opening day at Nationals Park on Sunday.  Hmmm... guess who they'll be cheering for?  Clue: not the Nationals.

We always have fun when we hang out with J and R and their brood of three.  J and 'lil J checked out the kites....

... E ran alongside me and valiantly tried to help me get my octopus kite into the air...

... and S just tried to make her getaway!

"Look at that kite!"  was a commonly uttered phrase.  

Kite flying takes a strong wind, a steady hand, and (apparently) a goofy face.  What's with the face, Karen??  

And then there's that face!  What's with that face??

R had better kite flying luck than I did!  (And she didn't have to run the length of the Mall dragging an octopus with a five year old shouting, "Run, Ms. Karen, run!" to do it, either!)

We had a great time!  I'm looking forward to doing it again next year! - wedding permitting, of course!


4 comments:

Steph said...

That was so much fun! I can't wait to go next year when D's big enough to do some exploring on his own. Thanks for sharing the day with us! :)

Steph said...

Um, I meant to say, when LITTLE D's big enough to do some exploring. Clearly, big D mastered that some time ago.

Dale said...

You know, I've never gone to the kite festival. Maybe next year we'll join with you lil' A :)

LMB said...

Looks like so much fun! You're the third person I know who was in DC this weekend! Ha! Love ya!