Friday, April 16, 2010

Gardening Postponed

You see those big rocks in my garden? Mini boulders, if you will?

They're the reason I won't be gardening this weekend. I moved them out from under the deck, threw them around when they got too cumbersome to carry, and rearranged them when I couldn't decide where I wanted them to go. Now my arm hurts. Hurts as in, took the day off work to go to the doctor because I was in some serious "can't move my arm" kind of pain. Turns out I strained my rotator cuff and from Tuesday through Thursday I was hurting. It's a lot better today, but mornings are the worst and no matter how I feel tomorrow, I'm still going to have to sit a weekend or two out to avoid more damage. But, the garden looks good.

The tomatoes, broccoli, and brussels sprouts are growing strong, but the lettuce is not. Turns out, the seeds I planted had expired (in 2008 - whoops) so I need to get some more and give it another go.

I dug a little bed and planted some hosta bulbs under the deck. They're the "frozen margarita" variety. Might have to bring a chair down under the deck and have a different kind of frozen margarita soon! Mmmm...

I dug up all the weeds...

And planted some phlox,

Spanish lavender,

and some little yellow flowers... tick wort? tick weed? tick seed? Something like that.

Oh, and this strawberry? We let it get a little redder and then we ate it! And it was yummy!!

Grow, garden, grow!

Oh... and London has come out twice with me to "help" water the flowers! I put him in the Baby Bjorn carrier and turned on the hose! I'll have to get Pern to videotape his fascination with the water... it's so cute!

1 comment:

Dale said...

Yellow flowers look like coreopsis (sp?). Love lavender and we're waiting for our strawberry to ripen before we eat it!