Saturday, April 19, 2008

Come tour my garden!



It may not look like much from this angle, but my garden is up and "running" and ready to grow!  Let's take a closer look, shall we?

Doesn't my vegetable garden look delicious?  Yummy.  Soil.  And seeds.  And baby cucumber plants.  Mmm... I can almost taste it...

Cucumber plant in cucumber jail.  Bad cucumber.  Um, this is a cucumber trellis.  It holds the cucs up and supports the vines so that the fruit can hang down and grow straight (not that there's anything wrong with gay cucumbers!).  The shade from the cucumber plant allows the lettuce to have a cool place to grow.  Lettuce doesn't like the heat.  Maybe Pern was a lettuce in a former life.

My mini container garden.  The garden is mini, not the containers.  They're average to large sized.  I bought the birdbath to attract birds, added the birdhouse (Christmas gift from Mom and Dad) to attract birds, and...

...the birds chose to ignore me.  This is kind of a funny story.  So when we moved in last year (holy cow, has it been a year??) we were excited to have some robins raising their wittle babies under our deck.  So cute.  We watched them for a couple of weeks and when the babies left the nest, we removed it.  I put up the birdhouse (and a feeder, which I didn't get a picture of) to attract more birds to the yard.  Now the same birds are back, with a nest in the exact same place!  When I went outside this morning to work on the garden, I noticed the dad fly away and perch on a neighbors fence, watching me.  I was in and out all morning and he...

...would leave the nest when I was outside...

...and go back when I went in.  I mentioned that I didn't get a picture of the birdfeeder.  I meant to, but forgot.  I decided not to go back outside because I think I've seriously pissed off these birds!  I was in "their" space for a little over four hours, and they were not happy.  If I could speak robin, I think the conversation would have gone something like this:

Me:  Hello Mr. Robin!
Robin: F*** you! 
Me:  Do you like the birdhouse?
Robin:  Get out of my garden!
Me:  I got you a birdfeeder, Mr. Robin.
Robin:  Didn't you hear me?  I said, Get away from my nest!
Me:  Here's a birdbath for you and your little babies.
Robin:  I'm going to poop on your head now.

No, he didn't actually poop on my head.  But I decided not to risk it, hence, no bird feeder picture.  Anyway, back to the tour...

The birdhouse container garden has some salvia (not saliva)...

...Mexican heather...

...a fushia plant...

...hmm...I wonder why Dale and I called them "ballerina flowers" when we were younger...

...fiber optic grass...

...and my favorites, Gerber daisies.

Then, up on the deck, I planted more containers!  I put in some hot pink petunias...

...snapdragons...

...basil and some purple flowers who's name I can't remember...

...oregano...

...and rosemary.

My tomatoes have a long way to go before they'll end up in my tummy.

Last, but not least, a butterfly feeder to attract some pretty pollinators.

So there you have it.  A yard the size of a postage stamp, but I'm having fun.  Keep posted for updates and (of course) more pictures as I continue to work on my green thumb!

3 comments:

Dale said...

Excellent! Did you grow all the veggies/herbs from seeds? And as for having a postage stamp size yard, I had so much fun in our yard and saw lots of changes in the one season I had it - so many flowers, hummingbirds and the best treat: the hummingbird moth! Oh, we also had the pesky robin under the deck and bunnies in a hole in the ground - you might find more bunnies, given all the yummy veggies you're growing! Um.... good luck with that :)

Dale said...

And yay, ballerina plant! I LOVE those! Think I'm going to skip container gardens this year, but maybe next year, if we end up making a patio, I can have some on that - more in the shade of the yard. I think fushia are more shady . . . right?

LMB said...

What a beeeeaaautiful garden, Carrot! :)